We believe that just as entrepreneurship and invention have driven our nation's progress, so too can we harness America's spirit of innovation, vision, and optimism to help solve our most pressing social problems.
We exist to help innovative social entrepreneurs and their organizations dramatically improve opportunities for children, families, and communities. We also aspire to help all social entrepreneurs bring about widespread impact on the critical social problems their organizations are tackling.
We work to fulfill our mission with two mutually reinforcing approaches:
How it Works
- We provide multi-year financial and strategic support to our portfolio of innovative social entrepreneurs and their organizations to help them realize their full potential for social impact; and
- We use a range of strategies to help create an environment in which all innovative social entrepreneurs and their organizations may realize their full potential for social impact.
Since our founding in 1998, we have made explicit choices that have shaped our model and honed our approach.
To get the right combination of resources, experience, and expertise to help our portfolio realize their full potential for social impact, and to help improve the environment for all social entrepreneurs, we bring together:
- Our community of individual investors and families, and a small number of institutional foundations, who are passionate about creating the greatest possible social impact with their philanthropy
- Our signature partner, Monitor Group, who augments our capacity and leverages investors' contributions
- Our talented team, whose diverse experiences help them identify and anticipate the challenges organizations face as they grow and to embrace opportunities to create widespread impact
In addition, we highly value several priorities in pursuit of our mission, including: The importance of leadership in our portfolio investment strategy.
We believe that social entrepreneurs' bold aspirations and articulation of a visionary path, rigorous use of data and results to manage their organizations, and relentless determination to attract the necessary resources to make their vision a reality are powerful determinants of an organization's ability to scale its social impact. Strength of leadership plays a critical role in our investment selection.A focus on organizations tackling issues related to social mobility.
We prioritize investments in organizations that address issues related to social mobility including education, workforce development, public health, or poverty alleviation. Our focus is national. The role of direct and widespread impact in solving our greatest social problems.
Our choice to pursue a dual approach through our own model reflects this conviction. We explicitly take into account an organization's widespread impact on social problems when evaluating the potential for growth and scale of its programs. We are also highly focused on our own ability to generate widespread impact, combining our work with our portfolio with our Action Tank—a group within New Profit dedicated to helping all social entrepreneurs realize significantly greater impact on the tough, systemic problems they aspire to solve.